If you’ve been using backtrack 3 as your favorite security pentesting distro , get ready to welcome the newest version of backtrack , it’s Backtrack 4 Beta ! Unfortunately you will only be able to download backtrack 4 image at local download center in ShmooCon 2009. The backtrack 4 beta image will be 850+ MB , and it’ll be also provided as vmware and Usb keys ready!
Here are some getting started notes for backtrack 4 beta :
* Default password to BackTrack 4 hasn’t changed, still root / toor.
* KDE 3 is being used in BT4. We tried KDE 4, really, we did. It sucked. Maybe 4.2 in BT4 final.
* Most of the KDE “apt gettable” packages have “kde3″ appended to their names. So “apt-get install kate-kde3″ is good, “apt-get install kate” is bad. Use “apt-cache search ” to search for packages to install.
* Kernel sources included in /usr/src/linux.
* DHCP disabled by default on boot, you need to /etc/init.d/networking start
* If you do an HD install and want to restore networking (DHCP) to be enabled at boot, type “update-rc.d networking defaults”.
* VMware users - to fix the KDE resolution, type “fixvmware” before starting X.
* Vmware tools and kernel modules compile perfectly on VMWare 6.5.1
* If you can’t get X to work, first try to autogenerate an xorg.conf by typing “Xorg -configure” and try using the generated conf file. If that bums out, you can revert to VESA by typing “fixvesa”.
* Wireless networking in KDE can be started with KnetworkManager (/etc/init.d/NetworkManager)
* Various drivers can be found in /opt/drivers (various madwifi branches, video drivers for Nvidia and HP 2133’s).
* Installation of BT4 to HD is similar to BT3. (tip - dont forget to modify /etc/fstab after the install. Change the first line from aufs / aufs …. to the corresponding device and filesystem. For example, on my box it’s /dev/sda3 / reiserfs defaults 0 0, as my root partition is on sda3 and i used the resiserfs filesystem).
* The warning message “W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net intrepid Release: The following signatures couldn’t be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY CB2F6C86F77B1CA9″ when “apt-get update” occurs as the Intrepid KDE 3 repos do not use a GPG key. We will eventually host these package in our own repo.
* Conky takes a while to load.
You can also download backtrack 4 beta wallpaper here.
Random Articles :
- Get To Know Linux: Understanding smb.conf (ghacks.net)
- Get To Know Linux: gnome-terminal (ghacks.net)
- Get To Know Linux: Understanding xorg.conf (ghacks.net)
- Fix Akonadi MySQL error while booting to KDE after upgrading to KDE 4.2 (sathyasays.com)