Spyware – The Growing Threat
Spyware is a type of malware that can be installed on computers, and which collects small pieces of information about users without their knowledge. The presence of spyware is typically hidden from the user, and can be difficult to detect. Typically, spyware is secretly installed on the user’s personal computer. Sometimes, however, spywares such as keyloggers are installed by the owner of a shared, corporate, or public computer on purpose in order to secretly monitor other users.
Today’s spyware are very complex and use intelligent tricks to fool around the anti-malware software installed in your computer. They require an all round security application and that is the reason that the trend these days is to provide a all-round security cover for your computer.
The standalone applications like Antivirus and Antispyware software, which were used earlier, are increasingly being replaced by comprehensive security suites. They provide all round protection from all sorts of malware like viruses, spyware, trojans, worms, network attacks, phishing etc.
For those, who still want to use a decent standalone Antispyware without paying for it, we have compiled a list of some of the best free antispyware software available for download. All the Antispyware application mentioned here have been reviewed in individual posts. Have a look at them.
- Spybot – Search & Destroy: A popular spyware and adware removal program compatible with Microsoft Windows 95 and later. It scans the computer hard disk and/or RAM for malicious software. Along with spyware and adware detection and disinfection capabilities, Spybot-S&D can repair the registry, winsock LSPs, ActiveX objects, browser hijackers and BHOs, PUPS, computer cookies, trackerware, heavy duty, homepage hijackers, keyloggers, LSP, tracks, trojans, spybots, revision, and other kinds of malware. It can also, to some extent, protect a user’s privacy by deleting usage tracks like tracking cookies. - [Direct Link]
- Ad-Aware SE Personal - [Direct Link]
- Windows Defender: a free program that helps protect your computer against pop-ups, slow performance, and security threats caused by spyware and other unwanted software. It features Real-Time Protection, a monitoring system that recommends actions against spyware when it’s detected and minimizes interruptions and helps you stay productive. - [Direct Link]
- Spyware Terminator: Millions of users worldwide rely on Spyware Terminator 2012, winner of many awards and high ratings from industry experts and users. Its free comprehensive protection is comparable to competitors’ paid versions! - [Direct Link]
- Super Antispyware Free: SUPERAntiSpyware scans your computer for known Spyware, Adware, Malware, Trojans, Dialers, Worms, KeyLoggers, HiJackers and many other types of threats, and allows you to remove or quarantine them. It offers daily (manual) definition updates, as well as home page hijack protection and customizable scan options. - [Direct Link]
- Spyware Blaster: SpywareBlaster secures your browser against potentially unwanted software and sites – preventing the installation of spyware and other potentially unwanted software, exploitation of security vulnerabilites, and much more. This program is not a spyware remover! It does not scan your system and detect spyware that has already been installed. The best part is that you can use it as an added layer of security and can work with most other security software. – [Direct Link]