If you are experiencing problems with printing, you might have a problem with the HP Officejet Pro 8600 printhead. You should perform the procedures in the following sections only when directed to do so for resolving print quality issues.
Clean the printhead on HP Officejet Pro 8600 Premium printer
If your printed output is streaked or has any incorrect or missing colors, the printhead might need to be cleaned.
There are two stages of cleaning. Each stage lasts about two minutes, uses one sheet of paper, and uses an increasing amount of ink. After each stage, review the quality of the printed page. You should only initiate the next phase of cleaning if the print quality is poor.
If print quality still seems poor after you complete both stages of cleaning, try aligning the printer. If print quality problems persist after cleaning and aligning, contact HP support.
NOTE: Cleaning uses ink, so clean the printhead only when necessary. The cleaning process takes a few minutes. Some noise might be generated in the process. Before cleaning the printhead, make sure you load paper.
Not turning the printer off correctly can cause print quality problems.
To clean the printhead HP Officejet Pro 8600 Premium from the control panel
1. Load Letter, A4, or Legal unused plain white paper into the main input tray.
2. Touch ► (right arrow), and then select Setup.
3. Touch Tools, and then select Clean Printhead.
To clean the printhead from Toolbox (Windows)
1. Open Toolbox.
2. Click Printer Preferences, click Maintenance Tasks, and then click Clean Printheads.
3. Follow the onscreen instructions.
To clean the printhead from HP Utility (Mac OS X)
1. Open HP Utility.
2. In the Information And Support section, click Clean Printheads.
3. Click Clean, and then follow the onscreen instructions.
To clean the printhead from the embedded web server (EWS)
1. Open the EWS.
2. Click the Tools tab, and then click Print Quality Toolbox in the Utilities section.
3. Click Clean Printhead and follow the onscreen instructions.